Re: What is the right way to use consolekit with startx?

On Tue 30 Aug 2011 at 21:48:47 +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:

> The simplest solution I have found is to override the default consolekit
> permissions. In the case of suspend and hibernate, these are specified
> in the file /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.upower.policy.
> To override, create a new file in
> /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/, give it a .pkla extension, and
> add the following content:
>
> 	[upower]
> 	Identity=unix-user:*
> 	Action=org.freedesktop.upower.*
> 	ResultAny=yes
>
> With that, I have the freedom to suspend and hibernate when using slim
> and startx. I have been able to remove gdm3, an important step towards
> removing all things GNOME-y in wheezy :-)

This appears to be a very elegant solution and far better than
downgrading consolekit or altering a file in /etc/pam.d. For a start, it
gives better granuality and flexibility. It also has the the advantage
of fitting in better with the existing consolekt/policykit setups, For
example, I changed the second line to 'Identity=unix-group:powerdev' to
reflect the usual Debian way of allowing users to access a service.

Apologies for being a little lazy but is there documentation for the
stanza you have given above? I'd guess it's something to do with d-bus
but would not be surprised to be wrong.