Re: What is the right way to use consolekit with startx?

On 2011-08-30, David Purton <dcpurton@marshwiggle.net> wrote:

> --X1bOJ3K7DJ5YkBrT
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have not been able to get consolekit working properly since version
> 0.4.1-4.
>
> I believe it is something to do with bug #597937.

Yes, I believe it is. Unfortunately, I also believe it is not about to
be fixed. consolekit expects the display manager to set the required
permissions. gdm and gdm3 (and possibly kdm; I haven't used it recently)
do so, whereas other display managers and startx do not.

> With more recent versions of consolekit, my session is not marked as
> active, and as a result a bunch of stuff with network-manager doesn't
> work. (I know about wicd, but it doesn't support broadband modems.)
>
> I've googled a plenty and tried different things without success. Any
> suggestions? Surely I'm not the only person running debian who doesn't
> use a desktop manager?

(...)

The simplest solution I have found is to override the default consolekit
permissions. In the case of suspend and hibernate, these are specified
in the file /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.upower.policy.
To override, create a new file in
/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/, give it a .pkla extension, and
add the following content:

	[upower]
	Identity=unix-user:*
	Action=org.freedesktop.upower.*
	ResultAny=yes

With that, I have the freedom to suspend and hibernate when using slim
and startx. I have been able to remove gdm3, an important step towards
removing all things GNOME-y in wheezy :-)

I don't have the network-manager package installed, but apt-file tells
me that it contains the files
/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.policy and
/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.network-manager-settings.system.policy.
Therefore I'm sure you can adapt the above approach to suit your needs.

Liam

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland