Re: Networking -- use of two Internet connections for one server with round robin DNS -- web okay, but should I do mail this way too?

Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> writes:

> On 7/12/2011 3:33 PM, lee wrote:
>
>> Spamhouse blocks you even when you haven't done anything wrong and then
>> refuses to remove you.
>
> Please share your correspondence with Spamhaus that proves what you
> state.  After a loaded statement like this you really need to show evidence.

There isn't anything "loaded" about it, it's merely my experience.  I
probably don't have the correspondence anymore because it was long ago,
and IIRC it involved having to use a web form they had because I
couldn't send them mail, so at least that part of the conversation won't
have been preserved anyway.

>> And as I said, I don't want others to decide about what mail I can
>> receive and what not.  How would you like it if the postman supposed to
>> deliver your snail mail would decide by his very own rules which of the
>> mail addressed to you he delivers?  Email is the same, I don't want you
>> or anyone else decide what mail I can receive and what not.
>
> Huh?

What is it you don't understand about this?

>> It is much different.  The difference is that it is my decision how to
>> use these tools and how to configure them.  When I decide to use a
>> blacklist like Spamhouse has, others decide who's blacklisted and who's
>> not, and that's a decision I have no saying in.  I can either use their
>> list or not and don't have any control over the list itself --- but I do
>> have control over how I configure spamasassin.
>
> If you're using SpamAssassin then you're already using 5 dndbls,
> including Spamhaus Zen.  It's the default configuration.  You didn't
> mention manually disabling them, so apparently you use them.  You
> probably didn't even realize it.

My point remains.  It doesn't matter whether I mentioned to have changed
the configuration of Spamassassin or not.  IIRC, I haven't even
mentioned whether I use it or not.

>> That doesn't say much without knowing how much mail is running
>> through.  It's nice that you don't need graylisting and Spamassassin
>> since graylisting introduces delays and Spamasassin can be troublesome
>> on resources.
>
> And mail flow won't tell you anything without knowing the hardware specs
> and line speed.  That's a bit deep for this discussion.

You're the one who brought it up.

>>> Only bot infected PCs do that.  This table targets residential type
>>> rDNS strings, which identify the PC as being residential, or less
>>> commonly, SOHO.  In either case, they should be relaying email through
>>> their ISP's mail relay, which we state in the reject messages in the
>>> table.
>>
>> That's a decision you made, and it's an example for a case in which the
>> decision of what mail I want to (or, rather, can) receive would be made
>> by someone else.
>
> Have you even looked at the file?

You've made your decision about what people should do and what mail to
accept.  Apparently you created and use the table to efficiently have
your decision applied by software. That is your decision, not mine.  If
I was using your mail server, you would be the one to decide what mail I
can receive and what not.  If I was using your table with my MTA to
block mail, you would be the one to decide what mail I want to receive
and what not.

They are merely examples for cases in which the decision of what mail I
want or can receive would be made by someone else.  There's no need to
look at the file for that.

> You can replace every action with a PREPEND if you so choose and use
> this table strictly for scoring.  You could also do selective
> greylisting with it, or any number of actions. The actions that ship
> in the default file work extremely well.  As the file states, you are
> totally free to modify it and use it in any way you choose.

That's nice :)

> It's becoming pretty clear you don't currently, and probably never have,
> managed an MTA.  You speak strictly from an end user POV.  Which makes
> me wonder why you've jumped into this drifted corner of this thread in
> the first place.
>
> You claimed to be a Spamassassin user, yet you didn't know it uses
> multiple dnsbls by default.  You claim to want to make a personal choice
> whether to accept or reject each and every email that arrives, which is
> simply silly for anyone to do but an end user.

You're making lots of assumptions and judgements without having the
necessary facts, and you're seeing only what you want to see.
Pretending that everyone who doesn't have the same opinion you have is
a paranoid troll and doesn't have a clue what they're talking about
isn't helping anything.

--
html messages are obsolete