Re: Networking -- use of two Internet connections for one server with round robin DNS -- web okay, but should I do mail this way too?

Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> writes:

> Can rDNS lookups for different IPs return the same result such as
> "mail.example.com" or must each IP have it's own unique PTR record
> name?

Apparently they can, though I don't like the idea. For outgoing email,
you need to make sure that the hostname given in [E]HLO statements and
the IP address of the host connecting to a remote MTA always match when
the remote MTA resolves either.  You may send me some test mails to
check.

--
html messages are obsolete