Re: Does IPv6 preclude use of a NAT gateway?

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011, Tom H wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
> <hmh@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > There are routes.  Really.  Maybe not everywhere, and maybe not all the
> > time... but the IPv4 private space is often routed.
> >
> > http://www.cidr-report.org/as2.0/#Bogons
> > http://www.cidr-report.org/as6447/#Bogons
> >
> > *Right now*, there are routes for parts the private space being leaked
> > everywhere.
>
> IANA also maintains some server(s) for RFC1918 leaks. More or less ten
> years ago, I was at a company where, one day, none of the Mac boxes
> could telnet to or mount AFP shares on the Solaris boxes because that
> IANA service was down and it was providing reverse DNS for RFC1918
> addresses...

That would be AS112.  The AS112 project provides an anycast cloud for the
three authoritative DNSes that take care of the IPv4 private, documentation
and link-local addresses.  They'll soon handle some of the IPv6 reverse
address space as well.

Note that AS112 clouds only route the IPv4 prefix 192.175.48.0/24, where the
BLACKHOLE-1.IANA.ORG, BLACKHOLE-2.IANA.ORG and PRISONER.IANA.ORG DNS servers
can be found, i.e. they do NOT provide a sinkhole for the IPv4 private
address space, just reverse DNS service.

http://public.as112.net/

http://tools.ietf.org/rfcmarkup?rfc-repository=http://www.rfc-editor.org/authors&doc=rfc6304&topmenu=true&document=draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-ops-09&docreplaces=draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-ops-09&title=RFC-EDITOR+AUTH48+REVIEW+COPY&extrastyle=body+{background-color:%23fee%3b}

And there is the "AS112 operator's relief" RFC:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcmarkup?rfc-repository=http://www.rfc-editor.org/authors&doc=rfc6305&topmenu=true&document=draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-under-attack-help-help-06&docreplaces=draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-under-attack-help-help-06&title=RFC-EDITOR+AUTH48+REVIEW+COPY&extrastyle=body+{background-color:%23fee%3b}

Sorry about the long URLs, RFCs-to-be don't have nice short URLs (or I don't
know them).

PS: that does mean the company where you worked at had incompetent DNS
administrators (if they had any at all).

PS2: Debian ships bind properly configured by default to never leak requests
that would end up answered by AS112.  I am not sure about the other
nameservers, though.

  Henrique Holschuh