Re: Does IPv6 preclude use of a NAT gateway?

On Sat, 09 Jul 2011, Randy Kramer wrote:
> When I switch to IPv6, will I lose the ability to keep my computers
> behind a NAT gateway?

Yes, for the address translation.  Unless you hack something with
mobile-ipv6, or use filtering application level gateways (which are a far
superior solution anyway).

But you can emulate the no-incoming-connection behaviour of restricted cone
NAT and symmetric NAT with these two rules:

ip6tables -I FORWARD -i <external interface> -m conntrack \
	--ctstate=NEW,INVALID -j DROP
ip6tables -I INPUT -i <external interface> -m conntrack \
	--ctstate=NEW,INVALID -j DROP

(the above was not checked for syntax errors)

> It's probably not the best thing, but I depend on the NAT gateway for a
> lot of my security--with IPv6, will I still be able to do that?

Please use a proper firewall, instead.  A general blocade on incoming
connections is _VERY_ crappy protection.

Also, ipv6 firewalling is very annoying on the gateway (due to the icmpv6
filtering which must be done right).  When possible, get a script that does
most of it right for you (or check RFC 4890).

  Henrique Holschuh