Re: debian-user-digest Digest V2011 #1312

On Friday 06 Tamuz 5771 14:15:08 debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> > > Running latest 2.6.39 32-bit kernel from Sid, the on-board sound only
> > > plays in  mono.
>
> Are you using the kernel's ALSA or are there ALSA packages installed?

I believe I am using the kernel's modules. I  have alsa packages available but
did not compile them separately

> > > (I also have a Lexicon USB and could use this but it is always
> > > powered.)
>
> Using the Lexicon everything is ok? You checked this?

I will. The input levels to it are certainly stereo but these were physical,
not alsa and the problem may be there.

> Is there any reason that you need the internal audio device?
>
> I always disable on-board sound.
>
> On my machine I'm using a RME HDSP AIO and two TerraTec EWX 96/24 cards,
> only if I really need sound, I don't use desktop sound, IMO desktop
> sound is environmental pollution (I'm serious).
>
> I suspect your Lexicon would have a better sound quality and if
> important for the usage, less latency too. If you will listen to sound
> it will be the better choice.

I am sure it would be better. However, I do not want to keep it plugged in all
the time just so my daughter can listen to clips and stuff. I will use it
through jack for serious music work (though the intel/realtek is no slouch).
And I have all my desktop sounds off--who needs them?

>Are you sure that the issue is related to the kernel update?
>t's very common that jack connectors fail, try cables with jacks from
>different vendors if possible

I have discarded two cables since I started knocking my brains trying to get
sound going correctly. 1/8 inch jacks are garbage. My old sound card had a
breakout box with 4in-4out 1/4 inch bananas and XLRs. Unfortunately, it had no
drivers done since windows-98 with which I used it for serious production. No
alsa from dman2044.