Re: help ! nvidia driver and X

David Jardine <david@jardine.de> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 10:55:00PM +0200, lee wrote:
>> David Jardine <david@jardine.de> writes:
>>
>> > I have version 275.09.07 in wheezy running fine - although I think I
>> > did have to remove some mesa-related packages that broke things on an
>> > update a few days ago.
>>
>> You mean libgl1-mesa-glx?  There are 1716 packages depending on that,
>> and I have too many of them installed to remove libgl1-mesa-glx.  The
>> result is that 273 packages are due to be updated and cannot be updated
>> because the nvidia driver is broken.  Hopefully, they'll fix that soon.
>
> Lee, you certainly know more about these things than I do, since I

Probably not --- I've been using the nvidia installer for many years,
and it always worked fine.  Then I changed one setting on my kernel and
found I couldn't boot it anymore and had to switch to kernel packages
and to use the Debian packages for the nvidia driver.  I haven't tried
yet if I can boot self-compiled kernels again.

> understand nothing about video drivers.  What I remember is that a
> dist-upgrade involving libgl1-mesa-glx (yes, I think that was the
> name) removed certain nvidia packages and left me with no X.

Yes, aptitude says it would remove some packages and would probably
leave me without X if I'd let it, too.  You always need to check what
will happen when updating.

--
html messages are obsolete