Re: help ! nvidia driver and X

On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 10:55:00PM +0200, lee wrote:
> David Jardine <david@jardine.de> writes:
>
> > I have version 275.09.07 in wheezy running fine - although I think I
> > did have to remove some mesa-related packages that broke things on an
> > update a few days ago.
>
> You mean libgl1-mesa-glx?  There are 1716 packages depending on that,
> and I have too many of them installed to remove libgl1-mesa-glx.  The
> result is that 273 packages are due to be updated and cannot be updated
> because the nvidia driver is broken.  Hopefully, they'll fix that soon.

Lee, you certainly know more about these things than I do, since I
understand nothing about video drivers.  What I remember is that a
dist-upgrade involving libgl1-mesa-glx (yes, I think that was the
name) removed certain nvidia packages and left me with no X.

Why does nvidia get the blame?  It was working perfectly well until
somebody decided that certain parts of it had to be removed?  I'm not
being sarcastic; there must be some rationale that I don't understand
but which might help me if I did understand it.

Cheers,
David