Re: HTML messages are obsolete, especially for mailing lists

On Fri, 2011-07-08 at 20:55 -0400, Michael Checca wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 20:12:33 -0400, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
> > From: lee
> > Was: Subject: Re: alternative to kaffeine?
> > Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 21:29:46 +0200
> >> html messages are obsolete
> >
> > Full ACK, with one exception, it can be helpful for code, to avoid a
> > wrap.
> Pastebin is good for code longer than a few lines. It also has syntax
> highlighting :)
> http://pastebin.com/
> >
> > It would be good if the list would filter HTML messages, since most of
> > the spam is HTML formatted.
> Very true. Plus, spam messages are much funnier when formatted as text
> cause it looks much more obvious that it's spam.
> Maybe automatically convert from HTML to text?

For entertainment a good idea ;D.

> > HTML is very useless for emails. Windows user e.g. tend to send a J, the
> > J should be an emoticon, since there's a Windows font that replaced the
> > J with a :). They don't understand, what HTML is and what fonts are and
> > especially there's a misunderstanding about the fonts people are willing
> > to install.
> Many people (and clients) send emails in HTML because it's the default and
> they don't know they can change it.
> > I wonder about fonts for braille ;).
> Maybe next release :)

I had a glass of wine (not the software) too much ... I guess I missed
to send my mail for people, who are able to understand German, before I
deleted it ...

http://www.karzauninkat.com/Goldhtml/goldhtm1.htm

In English, this are very old rules for bad HTML, but they are still
usable today, if you wish to code bad HTML websites, translate it using
Babelfish ;).