Re: (Solved) Re: Disabling GNOME loud beep at shutting down

On 07/08/2011 08:44 AM, Camaleón wrote:
On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 15:09:36 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

Since some days I'm hearing a very (I mean "very") loud beep when I
shutdown (or was it when restarting?) GNOME in Wheezy.

Is it possible to disable it? It's so loud that even hurts.

I finally could solved it by reducing the "beep" volume level from gnome
volume control applet so it seems coming from here (if I mute the "beep"
I hear nothing at all but that's not what I want).

It should be nice to completely disable that beep sound when restarting
without disturbing the beep volume level, if someone has a clue, please
tell :-)

Greetings,

This is how I dealt with the annoying system bell in Squeeze:

With rootly powers I opened up /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and added this line:

blacklist pcspkr

That took care of the annoyingly loud beep that isn't the sort of thing you want to hear when others in the house are, say, sleeping.