Re: (Solved) Re: Disabling GNOME loud beep at shutting down

On Vi, 08 iul 11, 15:44:50, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 15:09:36 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
> > Since some days I'm hearing a very (I mean "very") loud beep when I
> > shutdown (or was it when restarting?) GNOME in Wheezy.
> >
> > Is it possible to disable it? It's so loud that even hurts.
>
> I finally could solved it by reducing the "beep" volume level from gnome
> volume control applet so it seems coming from here (if I mute the "beep"
> I hear nothing at all but that's not what I want).

It's quite common for laptops to have the system/motherboard beep volume
in the "regular" mixer, since it goes through the same speakers.

Since a few kernel releases there is also a new "Digital" control, that
seems to be a software emulated system beep, that goes through the sound
card. A bit redundant for laptops, but might be useful for desktops (or
very annoying).

> It should be nice to completely disable that beep sound when restarting
> without disturbing the beep volume level, if someone has a clue, please
> tell :-)

Hack gdm? :p

Regards,
Andrei