Re: What is the recommended way to handle squeeze-proposed-updates?

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

http://www.debian.org/releases/proposed-updates

I've never used that repo before :-?

I hadn't either until I read it was the way to fix the disappearing mouse pointer issue in Squeeze, here http://hacksomethingtonight.blogspot.com/2011/04/invisible-mouse-pointer-in-debian_19.html

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Freeman <hewho7@gmail.com> wrote:

Run

 apt-cache policy

If squeeze-proposed-updates is a priority of 100, it should update if
necessary any of the packages installed without adding packages from that archive
unless you manually install.

If squeeze is a priority of 500, you might consider making squeeze your
default in your /etc/apt/apt.conf file.

As root:

 echo 'APT::Default-Release "stable";' >> /etc/apt/apt.conf

Thank you Freeman, this is good to know.

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 2:01 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:

>Am I supposed to keep the
>proposed updates repos active in sources.list for the life of squeeze, or do
>something else?

I wouldn't.

>What if I comment it out now?

Run an update afterward and you should be fine.  Some of your packages will
have a newer version than is available on repositories configured for the
system, but APT has no problem resolving that.

Thank you, this is what I did, and apt found 3 packages after commenting out the squeeze-proposed-updates lines to up(or down?)grade, which I installed, and everything seems to work.

Still no success on Squeeze freezing on boot after booting into Windows 7 on a dual-boot machine.  Boots fine after a full shut down; but cannot reboot from Win7 to Squeeze.  Methinks it has something to do with the ntfs partition shared between both OS's?  But Lenny never had trouble with it, only after the upgrade to Squeeze has this become a problem.