Re: What is the recommended way to handle squeeze-proposed-updates?

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 08:15:33PM -0700, Mark wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had to add the squeeze-proposed-updates repos to my sources.list after
> learning about the intel 855gm bug in squeeze that requires a fix from the
> proposed updates section.

Proposed-updates replaces the volatile archive. They are packages that are
being expedited into the release update process. Stable, for example, would
not normally update at all outside of security, bugs such as you mention.

Another purpose is packages that sometimes require more frequent upgrades
such as ClamAV.  Although I don't see why one would want to upgrade their
anti-virus from anything less than testing-proposed-updates or
unstable--excepting compatibility problems with the release.

>After apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, 13
> packages were updated/upgraded including apt.  Am I supposed to keep the
> proposed updates repos active in sources.list for the life of squeeze, or do
> something else?  What if I comment it out now?  I want this to be a stable
> system.  This is a brand new area for me so any help is appreciated.  Also,
> after doing this, the bug in Squeeze is fixed, but after I boot into Windows
> 7 on the dual-boot machine and reboot into Squeeze, it passes the Grub
> splash screen and then some tests until it gets to the section dealing with
> the drives/devices and completely freezes with blinking cursor and no
> activity.  A hard shut down is required.  Anyone else experienced this?

Run

 apt-cache policy

If squeeze-proposed-updates is a priority of 100, it should update if
necessary any of the packages installed without adding packages from that archive
unless you manually install.

If squeeze is a priority of 500, you might consider making squeeze your
default in your /etc/apt/apt.conf file.

As root:

 echo 'APT::Default-Release "stable";' >> /etc/apt/apt.conf

--
Regards,
Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody