Re: suspend to disk unreliable?

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 17:28:45 +0200, lee wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 01:43:49PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> And how do you suspend to disk? By pressing a button, running a
>> script...? You said in your first writing that "(sic) after suspending
>> to disk during the night and resuming..." you were having problems to
>> restore, so how did you triggered suspension? :-?
>
> As I said in a previous posting, I used:
>

> # echo  8589934592 > /sys/power/image_size
> # echo platform > /sys/power/disk; echo disk > /sys/power/state

Where did you get that steps to hibernate? :-?

> Mow I'm wondering what to use instead.

"man pm-action" will tell.

>> /usr/share/doc/uswsusp/README.Debian
>
> "
> The s2ram tool allows you to suspend the system to RAM and restore the
> state of the graphics adapter after the resume automatically.  For this
> purpose it uses the code out of vbetool and radeontool utilities, needed
> for handling quite a lot of graphics cards after the resume from RAM. "

It seems you are reading the wrong paragrah... you should be interested
in "s2disk", instead >:-)

> Then why doesn't uswsusp depend on either vbetool or radeontool?

Dunno. I don't use that tool.

>> /usr/share/doc/pm-utils/README
>
> "
> How do hooks work?
>
> * You put an executable file in /etc/pm/sleep.d.  When suspend or
>   hibernate is called, several things happen:
> "
>
> So this readme doesn't tell you how to suspend to disk ... There's a
> package "hibernate", but that seems to be yet another tool for the same
> purpose.
>
> /etc/pm/ is only a directory containing other directories.

"man pm-action" then :-)

You don't need any additional packages to use hibernate, just how to use
the ones you already have installed. You have to read.

> Do I have to take it that there's no Debian way of suspending to disk
> (unless you use gnome maybe)?

Why? Just take it as you need to read the docs, test and try.

> It's a feature that should work out of the
> box, like another option for the shutdown command ("shutdown -std now",
> for example, to suspend to disk) ...

Yes, but power management is managed different on every DE. In fact,
hibernation and suspension can fail on many systems as not every piece of
hardware has been previously tested and certified to perform well with
such actions :-/

>> Anyway, I agree that the automatic installer should ask the user about
>> hibernation/suspend tasks and if the user wants to enable such option,
>> it should adjust the swap space to fit the power savings needs.
>
> It would have to do that not only on installation. What if you install
> it and use it and then a year or half a year later you upgrade from,
> let's say, 4GB to 8GB of RAM? You'd have to remember that at some point,
> you had to set up the suspend to disk stuff according to your RAM-size
> and adjust ...

Not everybody uses all the possibilities an operating system can provide.
I for one do not use hibernation neither suspension at all, so yes, if
you are installing an OS you should be in the know of all these options
and how to configure them properly, provided that you want to make use of
them >:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón