Re: New amd64 system needs flash player

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 11:00:12 -0500, John W Foster wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-06-26 at 18:55 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> If you want all your users make use of the plugin, I guess it has to be
>> dropped under "/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so". But
>> remember that if you leave the "Adobe crap-Flash" plugin in this
>> location, it will take preference over the free one (Gnash).
>>
>> Just make your own tests.
>>
>> And remember: the plugin I am sending you is *vulnerable* to some
>> attacks that also affects linux users. Use with caution :-/

> Thanks! It worked. I put it in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins & reloaded the
> browser. All seems OK. My games work anyway. Now to get the streaming
> videos to work. I just love building a new system. Lots of
> challenges...

Glad you got it working.

> BTW what attack vulnerabilities are you referring to.

Where did you go last weeks? ;-)

To make it short: it was discovered a big flaw in many Adobe products
(Adobe Raeder, Flash Player, Adobe Air...) that can lead an attacker to
gain access into the user's machine.

Besides, the code for this to happen has been on-the-fly (at least for
windows systems) and is still active. I am unaware of any code being
actively exploited for Linux systems that makes use of this flaw, though,
but that is not a proof of that is not going to happen :-/

Adobe corrected the flaw for 32-bits systems (10.1.53.64) and left in the
dark all users who were using the 64-bits version of the Flash Player
(10.0.45.2).

***
Security update available for Adobe Flash Player
http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb10-14.html
***

> Also The free 'gnash' player does not work at all.

Yes, I know. It's a pitty but Gnash does not work for many sites that
make use of the more advanced programming features of Flash specs :-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón