Re: suspend to disk unreliable?

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 12:28:36 +0200, lee wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 10:13:23AM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> No, but there can be problems with some of your devices or drivers that
>> prevent restoring from hibernation "gracefully". You'll have to
>> investigate a bit. Review your log.
>
> But which log? I had to press the reset button, there aren't any
> relevant entries in the syslog.

Usually, "/var/log/suspend.log" but can vary, depending on the suspend
system you are using (GNOME default, swsusp, uswsusp, tuxonice...).

>> > When suspending to disk, the default size of the image written is
>> > 512MB. What happens when there's more data that needs to be saved?
>>
>> For one who wants to use hibernation, it will take the same space as
>> your amount of ram. So if you have 2 GiB. of ram, you'll need at least
>> 2 GiB. of free space for hibernanting the machine.
>
> Hm, then why isn't that adjusted automatically?

Maybe :-)

I selected an expert installation and custom partitionaing so I got no
advice, which is normal. But default installer and automatic partitioning
should indeed ask the user and if he/she wants to hibertante the machine
and adjust the amount of required swap space accordingly. At least it
should be nice to have such option, but dunno if it's already present or
not :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón