Re: [OT] Ubuntu vs Debian forums (was recompiling the kernel with a different version name)

But you do understand that desktop users _don't_ want to learn about
their OS, correct? They want the computer to be as transparent as
possible in their workflow.

If they don't wont to learn they don't have. That's way there is PC service.
Tell me how much of them know solution for some bigger Ms Windows problem? Are they bitching around how Ms Windows is hard to use? No they call PC service to fix their problem and that is perfectly normal, but when it is the same situation with Linux then Linux is OS for sys admins, hackers, etc.

Can you remember how are you feel when you got first box?
I can. I was wondering what means little picture of house in IE, and I was to afraid to click because I didn't know would it make some black magic and fuck up my box :-)

My first Linux was Debian Lenny Beta. And now I wasn't frighten to click that little house in Konqueror. And also I notice if you put your right mouse on something that there is Copy, Paste, Delete... I was start to thinking why people talk that Linux is so different and hard to learn? Why people talk that Debian is one of the harder Linux distro?

And yes I was pissing blood for 2 days because I didn't know how to tell Lenny that there is new HDD in box. But finally I find solution. How many Ms Windows end users know to put HDD in box, format, set up jumpers etc.?

What is difference in clicking on VLC (or Firefox, OO, GIMP) in Linux or Windows? Are they born with knowledge of using Ms Office? No they learn to use it.

Second example:
My friend is 43yo. He got first box (Windows XP) before 2y. I learn him how to use it because he didn't know absolutely nothing. Before 3 month he both laptop and I install Squeeze. I was just say to him "Look here is 'K' this is 'Start from XP' and here are all programs." After few days he told me "Woow it's much easer to use and it is much faster, there is no reboot, no manual app. installation and loop of Next. That Linux is really good!" Of course he doesn't know how to do some sys. stuff but he is just end user. Does he know install Ms Windows? No, he is end user.

So whats the point or conclusion?
If you are end user it's the same. If something go to hell call your friend or PC service. If you wont more than that learn it. If you can learn it in Ms Windows you can on Linux to.

--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic