Re: What prevents mounting of USB devices?

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 19:20:42 +0200, Clive McBarton wrote:

> I run KDE and normally mount usb devices with the "Storage Media" applet
> in the task bar. Recently I have been getting strange errors and
> mounting failed:

Which version of KDE, 3.x or 4.x? (I don't remember a task bar applet
for mounting removable media from my KDE 3.x days - I always triggered
mounting via the icons that appeared on the desktop for removable media
- but I might simply not know about alternatives.)

> Rejected send message, 3 matched rules; type="method_call",
> sender=":1.21" (uid=101 pid=13921 comm="kded [kdeinit] --new-startup ")
> interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member="Mount" error
> name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="org.freedesktop.Hal"
> (uid=0 pid=11879 comm="/usr/sbin/hald "))

Mounting worked for you earlier, so I assume that your users are all
members of the "plugdev" group already. I would like to see the output
of:

  awk '/<policy group="plugdev">/,/<\/policy>/' /etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf

> Mounting as root on the commandline still works, but it's a hassle for
> the user who wants to simple use their usb stick.

It would be interesting to know if regular users can mount USB sticks
using pmount or pmount-hal on the command line.

> And the UUID of the usb stick is even listed in /etc/fstab so that it is
> supposed to mount automatically when plugged in (though that does not
> seem to work). But that may be an unrelated issue.

AFAIK, you should not have any entries in fstab for removable devices
that you want to be handled by KDE/Gnome/whatever_other_DE via the
dbus/hal mechanism. In any case, I would avoid trying to mix different
approaches.

> Another (possibly also unrelated) issue is that when several X are
> running (different users, all with KDE) then it seems that only one of
> them can mount and unmount, usually the wrong user.

I have seen that complaint before, also for systems on which mounting
worked perfectly for single-user sessions, and I am not sure if a
satisfactory solution exists. (I have no need for running multiple KDE
sessions on the same machine, therefore I do not know much about this
issue.)

> Is it worth digging into hal to correct this? Given that hal won't be in
> Debian much longer.

Well, it is a problem for you right now, so why not try to solve it?
Besides, udisks has the same main developer as hal, so I doubt that it
will be so radically different that hal know-how will become useless. I
have played around a bit with udisks yesterday, it seems to follow the
same basic concepts as hal. AFAICT, udisks-daemon is simply an upgraded
version of hald that is specialized on block devices, as one part of a
more modular approach to hardware abstraction.

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   |