Re: [OT] Ubuntu vs Debian forums (was recompiling the kernel with a different version name)

>> But you do understand that desktop users _don't_ want to learn about
>> their OS, correct?
>
> Recently I was trying to show my 15 year old granddaughter, who runs Open SuSU
> 11 on her laptop, how to do some small admin job.  She said that she didn't
> want to know.  When I queried this, she said:
>
> "When I am at school, the IT department does it for me.  When I am at home
> here, you do it for me.  When I am in Japan, Daddy does it for me.  Why do I
> need to know how to do it?"

That is the kind of user who can learn! If the small admin job had
been "diagnose kernel crashes" and her answer would have been "I am a
brain surgeon, not a computer scientist. I fix the brain, you fix the
computer. Today is the one day off that I have to spend with my family
and I don't want to spend it with the computer instead." then her
reluctance would have been valid.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com