Re: SOLVED! was Re: Further to fast booting for a debian system - changing getty to rungetty

* Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> 09.10.2009
> For the archive this is how I did it:
>
> install rungetty
>
> edit inittab:
>   change getty to rungetty and remove baud rate
>   to the tty1 line, add 1 and --autologin like so:
> 1:12345:respawn:/sbin/rungetty tty1 --autologin user
>
> edit ~/.bash_profile (if it doesn't exist, create it)
>   add "startx" (without the quotation marks)
>
> For me, that was it.  I only have one window manager on the system.  READ the
> others for the rest!  (Kevin Ross for what to do if you have more than one
> wm.)

Hello Lisi,

much work for such an easy task. 'rungetty' is in my opinion good for
autologin in the console. For the autostart of a user straight into the
windowmanager you can manage it for example with 'gdm = GNOME Display
Manager'. In his settings you can specify one user for autologin.

Just my 2¢
Michael

--
"Success without honor is an unseasoned dish; it will satisfy your
hunger, but it won't taste good."