SOLVED! was Re: Further to fast booting for a debian system - changing getty to rungetty

For the archive this is how I did it:

install rungetty

edit inittab:
  change getty to rungetty and remove baud rate
  to the tty1 line, add 1 and --autologin like so:
1:12345:respawn:/sbin/rungetty tty1 --autologin user

edit ~/.bash_profile (if it doesn't exist, create it)
  add "startx" (without the quotation marks)

For me, that was it.  I only have one window manager on the system.  READ the
others for the rest!  (Kevin Ross for what to do if you have more than one
wm.)

Thanks, everyone.

Lisi