Re: Further to fast booting for a debian system - changing getty to rungetty

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 18:51:21 +0100
Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Celejar
>
> On Thursday 08 October 2009 17:44:15 Celejar wrote:
> > On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 16:21:55 +0100
> > Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I then searched everywhere I could think of for other instances of
> > > getty and could find none.  I ought to have kept a list of the
> > > files I opened to look for getty; it was a long one.
> >
> > I think that inittab should be sufficient.  Please post both your
> > old and new inittab files.
>
> This from the laptop machine - the desktop has already been put back
> as was. I initially changed only the uncommented lines.  Then when I
> was desperate I changed virtually everything even tho' I did not
> expect it to help.

> inittab:
> #
> # Format:
> #
> # Note that on most Debian systems tty7 is used by the X Window
> # System, so if you want to add more getty's go ahead but skip tty7
> # if you run X.
> #
> 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/rungetty 38400 tty1
> 2:23:respawn:/sbin/rungetty 38400 tty2
> 3:23:respawn:/sbin/rungetty 38400 tty3
> 4:23:respawn:/sbin/rungetty 38400 tty4
> 5:23:respawn:/sbin/rungetty 38400 tty5
> 6:23:respawn:/sbin/rungetty 38400 tty6

I admit that I've never actually used rungetty, but judging from the
manpage, rungetty doesn't take a baudrate parameter (the '38400' that
you have), presumably since it's designed for VTs and not for serial
lines.  If I'm right, than rungetty is likely misinterpreting the
baudrate as the tty line, and since it doesn't exist, it's dying.  Try
omitting it and see what happens.

> > > The relevant part of the messages on screen was:
> > >
> > > <quote>
> > > entering runlevel 2
> > > [cut]
> > >
> > > INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > > INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > > INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > > INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > > INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > > INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > >
> > > INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
> > >
> > > INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> > > [and so on for some time. But after that only the six respawning
> > > lines were repeated.]
> >
> > I'm no expert at this sort of thing, but it sounds like rungetty is
> > being invoked and immediately dying, and then being restarted.  init
> > has a mechanism to prevent the login processes from being respawned
> > too rapidly, and you're hitting that.
>
> Thanks for the explanation.  Now I just need to find out how to stop
> it happening!

Celejar