Re: Further to fast booting for a debian system - changing getty to rungetty

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 8:21 AM, Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> *So - how do I change my getty to rungetty?*

rungetty takes a different set of command line options than getty.

>From reading the man page, it looks like you only need one argument:
the tty.  This doesn't seem too surprising since it looks like
rungetty isn't designed to run on serial lines, so it doesn't need to
know about linespeed.

So you need to make your entries look like:

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/rungetty tty1

Also, when I ran just plain rungetty from the command line, it dropped
a usage line into /var/log/auth.log

I'm not sure if you checked all of your log files, but I tend to do:
cd /var/log
ls -latr

just to see what was last modified, as messages get logged to a
variety of places.

mrc