Re: Further to fast booting for a debian system - changing getty to rungetty

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 16:21:55 +0100
Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 29 September 2009 22:47:39 Kevin Ross wrote:
> > change your getty to rungetty
>
> I have been trying to do this ever since.  I have Googled, tried
> various things but am completely stuck.  I set up a trial Lenny and
> IceWM system on my laptop.  I then installed rungetty.  I next edited
> inittab (having firdt saved the original as inittab.old) and changed
> getty to rungetty.  When I restarted I had neither getty nor rungetty
> running.

Which tty did you run rungetty on?  For testing, I suggest that you
leave at least one VT on regular getty, so that you can get into the
system if rungetty barfs.

> I then searched everywhere I could think of for other instances of
> getty and could find none.  I ought to have kept a list of the files
> I opened to look for getty; it was a long one.

I think that inittab should be sufficient.  Please post both your old
and new inittab files.

> The relevant part of the messages on screen was:
>
> <quote>
> entering runlevel 2
> [cut]
>
> INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
>
> INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel
>
> INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> [and so on for some time. But after that only the six respawning
> lines were repeated.]

I'm no expert at this sort of thing, but it sounds like rungetty is
being invoked and immediately dying, and then being restarted.  init
has a mechanism to prevent the login processes from being respawned too
rapidly, and you're hitting that.

Celejar