Re: No monitor (was Re: Debian vs. ATI Radeon x1650)

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 01:56, Dominik Smatana <dominik@fsf.sk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it.
>

> Kelly Clowers wrote:
>> It is really weird that you don't get logs from those runs...
>
> Yes, it's strange. I thing there's some message (an error probably) on
> the screen just right before monitor's sleep mode, but it's too quick to
> read it :/
>

>> And the RadeonHD driver seems pretty convinced that there are
>> no displays attached.
>
> I've tried xrandr -q
> output: no devices
>

>> I still didn't get an Xorg.conf from you, it might show something.
>
> See attached file.
>

>> My only thought right nowis to try specifying some monitor info, like
>> VertRefresh and HorizSync, and maybe use:
>> Option "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes"
>> Option   "UseEdid" "false"
>>
>> or some such.
>>
>> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#Monitor_Settings
>> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg#Xorg_.22can.27t_see.22_the_resolutions_your_monitor_supports
>
> Thanks for the links. I was experimenting with those settings, but
> resulting in monitor's sleep mode only so far...
>

> Anyway...
>
> I'm thinking about switching to gNewSense (everything is working fine
> there), I'll try Debian again in a month or so.. with better luck maybe :)
>
> I just wanted to finish some work on packages I was co-maintaining
> before leaving Debian :/

I don't know, really strange stuff.

It will not actually help your problem, but  I thought I would mention that you
an take the "files" and "module" sections out of your xorg.conf among
other stuff.

Wait, it does look like extraneous 0s in section "ServerLayout"
>Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0

Here is what my Xorg.conf looks like:
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Intel"
#        Option          "AccelMethod"     "UXA"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Monitor"
        Option          "PreferredMode"     "1600x1200"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor         "Monitor"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "Default Layout"
        screen          "Default Screen"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option          "DontZap"           "off"
EndSection

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers