Re: Another Firefox and sound problem

Kelly Clowers wrote:
On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 23:51, Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:
Kelly Clowers wrote:
On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 20:59, Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:
This is an intermittent problem with no discernible pattern, other than
that
it is a problem with sound and flash.  Most of the time flash works just
fine.  Every now and then, however, the video will continue as it should,
but the audio gets stuck in about a one second continuous loop.  So far,
have to close Firefox down and usually I find that there is a runaway
Firefox process that needs to be shut down as well (just like in the
thread
about getting sound back). Does anyone know how to fix this?
I don't know about this problem specifically, but I stopped having
FF/Flash/sound problems when I installed PulseAudio. Of course,
many people are against PA, often along with most of the other
useful modern desktop technologies...
I have now installed PulseAudio (on Lenny) using aptitude.  A total of 25
packages were installed.  When I run paman, everything come up saying 'n/a'
and the message says "Failure: Connection refused".  All the other pa*
commands also either hang, do nothing, or say "Connection refused".  What am
I doing wrong?  Or do I just need to reboot after installation?

Did you double check that it is running with ps?
And that the environmental variable is set?

It wasn't. Running 'pulseaudio --check' returns nothing. Running 'pulseaudio' without any options returns:

----

W: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_NICE, (31, 31)) failed: Operation not permitted
W: main.c: setrlimit(RLIMIT_RTPRIO, (9, 9)) failed: Operation not permitted
ALSA lib conf.c:3952:(snd_config_expand) Unknown parameters 0
ALSA lib pcm.c:2144:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround71:0
E: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device hw:0: Device or resource busy
E: module.c: Failed to load module "module-alsa-sink" (argument: "device_id=0 sink_name=alsa_output.pci_1039_7012_alsa_playback_0"): initialization failed. W: alsa-util.c: Device front:0 doesn't support 44100 Hz, changed to 48000 Hz.
ALSA lib control.c:909:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL front:0

----

Now, I know I must be missing something.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com