Re: Keyboard : setup AltGr+e to produce é

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 15:55:23 +0200, Bruno Costacurta wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 August 2008 16:56:04 Nyizsnyik Ferenc wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 15:58:53 +0200
> >
> > Bruno Costacurta wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I bought an Asus Eee (model 900) with Linux Xandros installed which I
> > > switched to Debian Lenny. With the Xandros I got the combination
> > > AltGr+e producing é, but no longer with Debian (same with á ..etc..
> > > present on the Asus Eee keyboard UK model).
> > >
> > > How can I setup this combination ?
> > > Should I setup it in xorg.conf ?
> > > I'm using Xorg + KDE.
> > >
> > > Thanks for attention and help.
> > > Bye,
> > > Bruno
> >
> > Here is the relevant part from my xorg.conf:
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> >     Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
> >     Driver     "kbd"
> >     Option    "CoreKeyboard"
> >     Option    "XkbRules" "xorg"
> >     Option    "XkbModel" "pc104"
> >     Option    "XkbLayout" "us,hu,tr"
> >     Option    "XkbVariant" "altgr-intl,102_qwerty_dot_nodead,intl"
> > EndSection
> >
> > The interesting part is 'altgr-intl'. Editing your xorg.conf may not be
> > necessary if you (all your users) use a single desktop environment, for
> > example, Gnome. Just select the altgr-intl variant in the keyboard
> > layout dialog.
> >
> > --
> > Nyizsa.
> > http://nyizsa.uni.cc
>
> Unfortunately this seems not to work (at least under KDE), and addiftional
> settings like Option    "XkbVariant" "altgr-intl" freezes my Xorg.

Which XkbLayout do you use? Maybe "altgr-intl" is not defined for it.

> Are there some doc or location to review all available options to setup a
> keyboard in Xorg and/or KDE (via config files or user interface) ?
> Thanks for attention.

To see the allowed XkbVariants for your layout, you can use something
like this:

grep xkb_symbols /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us | cut -d\" -f2

(You have to replace "us" with the name of your XkbLayout, e.g. "de" for
 a German keyboard.)

The files in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/ include comments that explain
the ideas behing the different XkbVariants.

If you still have the Xandros installation (dual-boot maybe) then you
can run "setxkbmap -print" in an X terminal to see which layout and
variant it uses.

You can also configure your keyboard using only the KDE graphical
interface. Go to "Control Center -> Regional & Accessibility -> Keyboard
layout" and activate "Enable keyboard layouts" on the "Layout" tab. Then
choose your keyboard model from the drop-down menu and select your
desired layout in the "Available layouts" pane on the left. After
pressing the "Add >>" button, you should see the layout listed under
"Active layouts" on the right hand side. If you click on it there you
can choose from all the valid layouts with the drop-down menu that sits
below the "Active layouts" box.

          Florian   |