Re: debian sid & gnome

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 14:36:34 +0800, Reeyarn wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 14:18:40 +0800, Reeyarn wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've come accoss a similar problem, that my apt-get or aptitude wanted to
> > > remove my gnome, gtk, etc. Almost ervery core module of gnome i think.(see
> > > attached for the result of apt-get autoremove -s)

[...]

> I've got the problem. Thank you for that.
>
> My gnome-desktop-environment is not installed, because it depends on
> gnome-system-tools,
> gnome-system-tools: depends: liboobs-1-3 (>= 2.19.91)
> but 'libooobs-1-3' is unavailable in 'sid' right now.

If you really need libooobs-1-3 then you can add a Lenny/testing line to
your /etc/apt/sources.list. Lenny still has version 2.20.0-1 of
liboobs-1-3.

However, it seems to me that Gnome on Sid does not require libooobs-1-3
anymore:

$ aptitude why gnome liboobs-1-3
p   gnome           Suggests   gnome-dbg
p   gnome-dbg       Recommends liboobs-1-3-dbg
p   liboobs-1-3-dbg Depends    liboobs-1-3 (= 2.20.0-1)

The "suggests" of gnome-dbg can safely be ignored, unless you really
need to do some debugging of gnome system components or applications.
(In that case you probably have to wait until gnome-dbg is updated for
liboobs-1-4.)

Gnome itself has switched to liboobs-1-4 (which is available in Sid):

$ aptitude why gnome liboobs-1-4
p   gnome                     Depends gnome-desktop-environment (= 1:2.20.2.4)
p   gnome-desktop-environment Depends gnome-system-tools (>= 2.20.0)
p   gnome-system-tools        Depends liboobs-1-4

Maybe your mirror is in an inconsistent state or you did not run
"apt-get update" recently enough. It could also be that the liboobs-1-3
to liboobs-1-4 transition of Gnome is not complete yet, so maybe you
just have to wait for a few more days.

> Just wonder why I could still use gnome...amazine :)

If you have all the components of Gnome installed then it will work fine
without the "gnome" and the "gnome-desktop-environment" metapackage.
Just don't run any autoremoval commands.

          Florian   |