Re: Lenovo Thinkpad, HP, or Vostro/Latitude? was Re: OT: Laptop for College Bound Student?

On 14 Jun 2008, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 03:26:26PM -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> > IMHO, thinkpads have a long history of supporting linux (or rather that
> > linux works on them) and many really like it.  OTOH, the Vostro is also
> > a box fully supported (watch what wireless you get) and the Latitude is
> > of similar build, but beefer.  I do not think any of these three are bad
> > choices. I have never owned a thinkpad and would not due to the owners
> > of the company.  This is a personal choice and you are free to disagree
> > with that stance, but it does support the use of linux.
>
> By owners of the company, do you mean Lenovo or their predecessor IBM?
> I haven't seen a Lenovo Thinkpad.  I do have an IBM Thinkpad; the screen
> died when the tent in which I was sitting was hit by lightening (at
> least I had metal poles) but at least I was able to retreive the data
> off the hard drive.
>
> Doug.

I have a Thinkpad Z61M. It's very well made and feels solid. Both the
display (Ati) and the Intel wireless have caused compatibility problems,
however. At present the display is fine in 2D using the radeonhd driver
but I don't have 3D, though I had it in the past with fglrx. I'm not too
much bothered about this, although Googleearth is a bit jerky.

Wireless works with th old ipw3945 stuff but I have never managed to get
iwlwifi to do anything, so I can't use a later kernel than 2.6.23,

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
and sceptical articles)