OT: Laptop for College Bound Student?

The college is offering packages starting at $1,399 (Dell Latitude D630) and $1,499 (Lenoveo ThinkPad T61) all with 2GB memory, 10/100/1000 Ethernet, Wireless, 1394 Port, Bluetooth, Vista 32Bit Business OS, SmartCare/4in1 Media Card Reader and Microsoft Office 2007 Professional pre-installed by certified technicians located on campus. Three year warranty and 1GB Flash Drive thrown in.

Money is tight, of course. If I were the student and there is a modest-priced laptop with Debian and OpenOffice I'd take it in a flash. I'm not the student, I'm his 79 year old grandfather and I don't want him to start off at a disadvantage. There are certainly many college students and recent grads that subscribe to this list. I would value your insights.

Tom