Re: All New rc2.d Scripts get Ignored. Debian from KNOPPIX Solved!

	Sometimes, I don't exactly feel like the brightest bulb
on the tree, ( insert your favorite euphemism for dull-wittedness.)

	When I originally posted my problem and said that the
only thing the scripts that refused to run had in common was
that I had put them there, I was very close to the solution. It
wasn't how I set them up or anything, but that I didn't
realize links should be in every single runlevel directory.

	When the run level goes up from 0 to 5, one must have
kill or start scripts in each rc directory. I had just put a start
script at rc2.d and a kill script at rc1.d. You must make the
links to kill your process at each run level below where it
starts and the links to start your process at every run level at
and above the level where you want it to start. When I did that,
it all came up like it should.

	The rc script has comments explaining how scripts are
not started if there was not a K link below it. I then used find
to locate every start or kill link belonging to an application
that did work and that's when it hit me like a ton of bricks.

	I made all the links from 0 through 6 and both processes
came up on boot for the first time on the next boot.

	It is still too bad that one can not capture 100% of all
boot messages, and several of you have suggested various methods
to capture all the console messages which are good to know for
future intractable problems, but this one is solved. Many thanks
for helping me think.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer