Re: OT: Politics and other non-Debian ramblings

Curt Howland wrote:

> On Thursday 08 March 2007 23:12, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> was heard
> to say:
>> Do you really mean that societies
>> are better off when governed by tyrants than when governed by
>> democratically elected governments?
>
> Actually, what I said was "monarchy and oligarchy", not "tyranny". As
> any American who finds himself on the "no fly list" if tyranny cannot
> happen with a democratically elected government, and they will assure
> you it most certainly can.

Eh, that assumes that pointless airport security, steep fares, harebrained
passport requirements applying only to air travel and utter lack of
customer service hasn't made flying an absolute last resort to get
someplace Amtrak/ViaRail Canada or a highway doesn't go to.  Most people I
know don't bother with the airlines before because the train is more
convenient, cheaper and no appreciable difference in travel time over the
airlines for trips under about 1100 miles.  Both the US and Canada have
pretty decent passenger rail service given the huge territory it has to
cover.