Re: Attracting newbies (Was Booting Debian/testing fails)

Hello Stephen.

Stephen, 07.02.2007 17:33:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 05:08:06PM +0100 or thereabouts, Mathias Brodala wrote:
>> Stephen, 07.02.2007 15:21:
>
>>> ? It requires more than Enigmail.
>> No, Enigmail is one of the extension which enables this extension. (Although I
>> never tried using it without Enigmail. As I said, I had this one installed much
>> earlier.)
>
> I suggest you read Bugzilla and read the history of the extension you're
> using.

As I said, I already did. And I’m the prove that Patch+Enigmail+Extension is
enough to get it working. I have some other extensions, of course, but none of
them is related to the list reply extension

> I recall at the time it was first introduced that one needed at
> least two extensions and a 'patched' version of T-Bird.

Maybe the first fact has improved since then?

> The extension I recommend requires neither of the two qualifications. So
> it's a better extension for people that are using a vanilla T-Bird, and
> wish to keep it that way.

Yes, I understand that. I might try it on my own on a vanilla Thunderbird if I’m
using one on another machine. I want to know about what I recommend.

>>> -- Whereas the one
>>> you're using does.
>> Absolutely right. (As I see it now and you suggested: misunderstanding.)
>>
>>> I recommended the newer one, simply because most
>>> people didn't like the one you're using, as it needed other extensions
>>> installed to work. All you have to do is read the comments on Bugzilla
>>> to understand what I'm talking about.
>> Believe me, I read them. All of them.
>>
>>> For that reason alone, I would recommend that you refer people to the
>>> new one.
>> I’ll give both. Since Thunderbird/Icedove users on Debian will have the patch
>> included anyway, the might be interested in the old extension.
>
> If you're using any Mozilla derivative with Debian, you can't do better than using
> the upstream releases in my opinion. Debian tends NOT to have the latest
> of those applications.

No big deal for me since the new releases don’t offer any remarkable features.
(I still don’t understand the jump to 1.5 and 2.0. We should be at version 1.2
or something like that now. Marketing everywhere …)

>>> Incidentally if you're already using T-Bird for e-mail, why wouldn't you
>>> use it to read RSS?
>> I did use Opera much more earlier than Thunderbird. In the beginning I was
>> satisfied with Webmail (GMX) but after some time I tried Thunderbird and it was
>> rather nice. So today I do all my email stuff with it.
>>
>>> seems strange that a browser would be used. XML/RSS
>>> feeds are better in my opinion when read like e-mail.
>> Well, Opera displays them like emails. Its newsfeed functionality is part of its
>> mail module M2.
>
> Yeah well Opera does e-mail to. So why use T-Bird at all then?

I never really bothered using M2 for mail since it has that strange filter
thingie instead of folders. But in fact, I don’t really remember why. It just
happened as it did.

> Just
> asking, but it does seem little redundant.  So you're using two
> applications when you could use just one.

Yes, you are probably right. At least both of them have something in common:
they don’t really integrate themselves into my GTK desktop. Opera obviously
because of its Qt interface and Thunderbird because it only fakes GTK.

> OK like I said, whatever
> floats yer boat. ;)

Aye.

>>> Especially with
>>> the frequency that most RSS feeds are updated.
>> Yep, I check them every 3 hours. Works rather good if only I hadn’t so much of
>> them. The check is pretty consuming …
>
> Of course since you're using T-Bird for e-mail, it would check the RSS
> feeds at the same time it polls for e-mail. <sigh> I really wish I could
> use mutt though. ;)
>
> For example I use CraigsList for employment opportunities, and it
> conveniently gives me the option of reading these opportunities via
> RSS. I can't imagine using a browser for that, after having using T-Bird
> pull in new opportunities via RSS every 10 minutes. It grows on you
> after awhile.

Same for me.

>>> To each their own
>>> I guess.
>> It’s freedom of choice after all.
>
> Indeed.

I guess we should end this here since this is just more off-topic to the off-topic.

Regards, Mathias

--
debian/rules