Re: documentation for novice and newbies

hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 03:28:36PM +0000, Chris Lale wrote:
hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
[...]
I'm in favour of using an open standard for our definitive file format. The obvious one is docbook, since that is used by other Debian documentation. We should at least confirm to applicable international standards. We'd still need a mechanism (preferably partly automated) to interface between the definitive format and informal formats -- I don't think we can realistically ban submissions or edits in other file formats. The Linux documentation project accepts input in many formats -- we might ask them how they do it.
NewbieDOC used to do it like this:
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/metadoc/docbook-guide.html.en

A useful handbook on creating sgml, useful for the editors. Probably off-putting to newbies who want to contribute questions and worries.

Yes. That is why NewbieDOC moved to the wiki format.

Mind you, in the DocBook days, quite a few newbies just used the old NewbieDOC list to ask for general help. This is not really sustainable unless you have a reasonably large, dynamic group of developers/maintainers. The list was really to help them through the production and rendering of SGML, and the use of CVS.

Of course, OOo can export to HTML, PDF and DocBook. A template would not be difficult to devise.

--
Chris.