Re: [OT/FLAME] Horrible GNOME File Picker (Was: Open (helper application chooser) for iceweasel/icedove is too simple)

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, Nyizsnyik Ferenc wrote:
> I really don't need the little pictures in front of the file names. Does anybody?

Sure.  The typical user GNOME wants to target does.  They don't know enough
to properly add extensions to their file names without coaxing by the
applications, and they cannot deal with, say, a pdf file that is named
"readme.txt" for some stupid reason.

The problem is twofold:

1. GNOME is used by a lot more people than the ridiculously low skill level
user they aim at, and the GNOME project are often really bad at not dumbing
down their interface in non-reversible ways.  This means a lot of users get
unhappy at the way the interface gets dumber and dumber at every new
release.

2. Broken, stupid, non/badly-engineered design on the underlying code is
becoming more and more common on the desktop environments.  The GNOME
file-picker is a fine example of such things, but is hardly the worst
offender.   One only needs to read the average applet sourcecode to be
nearly driven to tears of anguish and pain.

  Henrique Holschuh