Re: Open (helper application chooser) for iceweasel/icedove is too simple

Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 07:26 -0500, Carl Fink wrote:
>> They're the standard GNOME dialogs, and you're absolutely right.  They fall
>> into the Microsoft Error:  cool-looking, terrible usability.  But apparently
>> GNOME is immune to user comments.
>>
>> They are inferior (and this is embarassing) to the standard open dialog in
>> the Microsoft Foundation Classes.
>
> I very much disagree.
>
> There were tons of whining about adding the input field by default, but
> no one stepped up and did the job until one of the GNOME developers did
> it himself.

It's awful, if I just type in "/usr/bin" I get "/usr/src//bin" because
of it's autocompletion, so you have to type slowly and watch what it's
doing.
Also when I try to open an app from /usr/bin, even if I point it
directly at the app I want it takes 30 seconds to find it!! KDE file
picker takes a couple of seconds.
Beats head against wall...

Googling gnome file picker gives you a fair idea what people think of
it. But wait, I just found a way to stop iceweasel using it, add this to
user.js:

user_pref("ui.allow_platform_file_picker", false);

Happy now, thanks to the OP for raising the subject.