Re: How to cool my cpu temperature?

On Saturday 06 January 2007 18:53, Seth Goodman wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote on Saturday, January 06, 2007 7:48 AM -0600:
> > The two most common causes of PS failure are spikes on the AC and
> > failing fans or otherwise obstructed air flow.
>
> Transients in the AC line causing damage to power supplies is a
> design issue for the supply.  We have known for years how to protect
> supplies from line transients and how to prevent transients from
> reaching the supply outputs.  While the energy in line transients
> and the power line impedance are statistical quantities, the root
> cause of this failure is inadequate design.  It is not normally
> related to production quality.
>
> Even on well-designed power supplies, the fan is far more likely to
> fail than any other component.  It is not difficult to have the
> supply gracefully shut down if the airflow stops for any reason,
> but this feature is often absent from consumer-grade PC power
> supplies.
>
> --
> Seth Goodman

I've recently suffered an abrupt shutdown, which I discovered was a seized-up
fan (ran out of oil), and that was on an I-Friend machine, and certainly a
lower end of the market machine. Thankfully the PSU had a thermal cutout, and
a trip to the backyard, and a thorough de-dusting with the vacuum cleaner on
blow, accompanied by a stripdown of the PSU, and a re-oiling of the fan fixed
it. Btw. The fan said thank you, and has been turning for the last 4 months
without complaint.

Nigel.