RE: How to cool my cpu temperature?

Mike McCarty wrote on Saturday, January 06, 2007 7:48 AM -0600:

> The two most common causes of PS failure are spikes on the AC and
> failing fans or otherwise obstructed air flow.

Transients in the AC line causing damage to power supplies is a
design issue for the supply.  We have known for years how to protect
supplies from line transients and how to prevent transients from
reaching the supply outputs.  While the energy in line transients
and the power line impedance are statistical quantities, the root
cause of this failure is inadequate design.  It is not normally
related to production quality.

Even on well-designed power supplies, the fan is far more likely to
fail than any other component.  It is not difficult to have the
supply gracefully shut down if the airflow stops for any reason,
but this feature is often absent from consumer-grade PC power
supplies.

--
Seth Goodman