Re: aptitude symbol look up error

On 2006-12-16, rocky wrote:
> Hey List,
>
> I'm using Debian Sid in my Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop. Recently after I
> aptitude update and aptitude upgrade I got the following error.
> aptitude: symbol lookup error: aptitude: undefined symbol:
> _ZN9pkgPolicyD2Ev
> It has been there for several days. Did any of you come across the same
> problem? Can any of your give me some hint on this please?

I'm encountering the same problem on my Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop
as well.  Aptitude works fine on my other systems (using the same
version:  0.4.4-1).

I found the following message [1] mentioning a dependency on shlibs but
the bug report it points to [2] does not contain much information.

I installed d-shlibs in an attempt to resolve the issue but it didn't
help.

Strangely I get this error at the moment when I try to update the
package list when I use aptitude interactively but not when I run
aptitude update from the command line.

However when I run aptitude keep-all I do get the error after it has
written the extended state information.

0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 613 not
upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Writing extended state information... Done
aptitude: symbol lookup error: aptitude: undefined symbol:
_ZN9pkgPolicyD2Ev

The exit code is 127 by the way.

Any ideas on how to trouble-shoot or resolve this?  In the mean time
I'll try updating the system using apt-get.  Apt-get is still working
fine.

Regards

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.apt.devel/9589
# Mertens Bram "M8ram"   <bram-mertens@linux.be>   Linux User #349737 #
# debian testing            kernel 2.6.18-3-686    i686    1024MB RAM #
# 14:56:55 up 4 days,  5:51,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00 #