Re: aptitude symbol look up error [Solved]

On 2007-01-06, Mertens Bram wrote:
> On 2006-12-16, rocky wrote:
> > Hey List,
> >
> > I'm using Debian Sid in my Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop. Recently after I
> > aptitude update and aptitude upgrade I got the following error.
> > aptitude: symbol lookup error: aptitude: undefined symbol:
> > _ZN9pkgPolicyD2Ev
> > It has been there for several days. Did any of you come across the same
> > problem? Can any of your give me some hint on this please?
>
> I'm encountering the same problem on my Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop
> as well.  Aptitude works fine on my other systems (using the same
> version:  0.4.4-1).
>
> I found the following message [1] mentioning a dependency on shlibs but
> the bug report it points to [2] does not contain much information.
>
> I installed d-shlibs in an attempt to resolve the issue but it didn't
> help.
>
> Strangely I get this error at the moment when I try to update the
> package list when I use aptitude interactively but not when I run
> aptitude update from the command line.
>
> However when I run aptitude keep-all I do get the error after it has
> written the extended state information.
>
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 613 not
> upgraded.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
> Writing extended state information... Done
> aptitude: symbol lookup error: aptitude: undefined symbol:
> _ZN9pkgPolicyD2Ev
>
> The exit code is 127 by the way.
>
> Any ideas on how to trouble-shoot or resolve this?  In the mean time
> I'll try updating the system using apt-get.  Apt-get is still working
> fine.
>
> Regards
>
> [1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.apt.devel/9589
> [2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=396938

FYI:

The problem was solved by upgrading apt itself, I updated various
apt-utilities yesterday but apprantely forgot apt itself.  After
apt-get install apt aptitude works fine again!

Hope this helps.

Bram

--
# Mertens Bram "M8ram"   <bram-mertens@linux.be>   Linux User #349737 #
# debian testing            kernel 2.6.18-3-686    i686    1024MB RAM #