Re: E-mail Failing in weird ways

Dave Patterson wrote:
* Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@sbcglobal.net> [2006-06-26 09:05:42 -0500]:

Yeah, I shoulda mentioned that those had both been checked. I've sent
her an e-mail asking for what (if any) error messages she gets, but
I'm going to give her a phone call, as well.

Is she on a dialup?  If so, have her check the output of ifconfig (as
root).  Check the value of MTU in the ppp connection.  You may have to
reduce to a value less than 600 in /etc/ppp/options:

mru 552
mtu 552

Ok, more information...

She installed Thunderbird by means I know not, but it is version
1.0.6 (20050716). This version is able to pull mail via POP.
However, when she tries to do *anythin* related to sending mail
it completely craps out. It displays a splash for a moment (like
less than a second) indicating that an error occurred, and that
it is making a report to the Mozilla people, and then the who shebang
shuts down, including closing the window. Any attempt to reply,
create a new e-mail, forward, etc. results in this behavior.
Also, any attempt to *edit* the SMTP settings causes this behavior.

Now, on my advice, a few weeks ago she installed the latest
using apt-get. This put an icon on her desktop, but which does
not start anything when it is tried. Also, we found
/usr/bin/mozilla-thunderbird which we tried from command line,
and which starts nothing. Here's the install command:

# apt-get install mozilla-thunderbird

She now has both a ~/.thunderbird, and a ~/.mozilla-thunderbird.
The former contains her e-mails to date. The latter (which is
dated approximately the time of the apt-get) is essentially empty.

Anyway, when she is using a browser and clicks on a mailto: link,
it pulls up evolution. Some poking around found a menu item which
starts it, and after some more poking around, we found that she
had her SMTP user name incorrect, with a comma (,) rather than
a dot (.) in it. So that's fixed, and evolution can now both send
and receive e-mail. So, that's one mystery solved. She would be
satisfied with evolution, and abandon thunderbird, but she wants to
import her e-mail, and her address book. We poked around with that
for a while, and found what we take to be her address book (in
~/.thunderbird/<junk>.default/abook.mab, but evoloution seems
unable to read/understand that. Nor does it seem to be able to
import her mail folders from Thunderbird.

So, if anyone can tell us what's wrong with the latest Thunderbird,
and what apt-get we need to do to fix it up, that would be best,
but failing that, how to import everything from Thunderbird into
Evolution would be fine.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.