Re: X Windows not installed

On Thu, Jun 22, 2006 at 20:03:33 +0800, Dr Bean wrote:
> I don't think I have X Windows installed. How do I now install
> it?
>
> Installing sid with installer-i386, I was given a choice about what
> kind of setup I wanted, eg a personal workstation, an Internet
> server, etc.
>
> With the cursor on the personal workstation, I hit Enter and
> was surprised by the installer immediately starting to do
> something. I expected some more questions.

That part of the setup is handled by a utility called "tasksel". You can
run it again if you want a second chance. (But you don't have to, see
below.) The trick is to move the cursor to an item and then press
<SPACE> to select it. An asterisk will indicate that an option has been
selected.

> What it was doing I don't think had anything to do with
> installing a personal workstation, which is mainly X Windows, I
> think. I didn't get asked whether I wanted gnome or KDE for
> example.
>
> I have now a perfectly good console-based linux system, but exec
> startx doesn't give me X Windows. I used apt-get to install
> gnome, which may explain a few X11 libs I have and some X docs in
> /usr/share.

Installing Gnome does not automatically pull the Xorg packages because
you could be running the X server on another machine and therefore not
want the X packages on the client computer which runs Gnome.

> Assuming debian-installer didn't install X Windows, how do I now
> do that? Can I do it with apt-get? Or do I have to start from the
> start again and boot the system with debian-installer?
>
> None of the packages in the X Window System software package
> list seem to be relevant.

Normally it should be enough to run

apt-get install xorg

(You also need a package which provides "x-window-manager", but I think
 installing Gnome takes care of that by pulling in "metacity".)

If you want a graphical log-in screen you can install the package "gdm".

--
Regards,
          Florian