Re: Netlimiter liike tool

Doofus wrote:
> As a neutral reader I'd say "hostile" is way overstated. More hostile
> would have been the more appropriate advice  "learn to use the search
> facilities", which it seems everyone in here is too friendly and helpful
> to have given you.

    Uhm, a few did.  Point is as a regular reader and writer on this list it
pretty much goes without saying that if the answer I am looking for exists in
either apt, man or Google and takes less than a complex search to find I
wouldn't be asking my question.  I am well aware of what to do prior to asking
questions and the verbosity of my post should be a huge hint that I have done
some research.

    The reason I asked the question here is because searches, as good as they
are, do not always turn up every gem out there.  I find Google a pain in the
butt most times not because it turns up too few matches but that it turns up
too many; often 10-20 hits relating to the same effective page (IE, multiple
related postings in a forum) so what I am looking fore is hidden dozens, if
not hundreds, of pages back.  So asking in an appropriate forum *after* said
search is done is a backstop to where if someone is personally familiar with
something and knows where it is they can chime up.

> You're right, it was a very simple request. But if
> such a simple request still runs to a dozen thread entries, with you at
> every turn saying "that's not good enough", then "write your own tool"
> would seem to be the only logical end point.

    The problem is none of the answers really addressed my request.  In a
sentence is there something like Netlimiter for Linux?  Pointing me traffic
shaping is not answering that question.  Pointing me to a mod of Apache when
Apache was an example is not answering that question.  Pointing me to Google
with search phrases that turn up the above is not answering that question.  I
mean, good god, at least when I pull the snarky "Did you do a Google search"
*I* run a reasonable search (or two, sometimes three) to see what comes up
with reasonable 3-5 word searches.  If the answer for the *question asked*
does not appear then maybe, just maybe, they ran those searches and the answer
they're looking for isn't there.

    When I reference a specific tool to address a specific problem it behooves
the individuals answering to look at what I am referencing first.  I mean
would you consider the following a reasonable answer to,  "Does there exist a
game like F.E.A.R. on Linux?"

    "Well, there's Tux Racer.  It's 3-D!"

    Same ballpark.