Re: who is r/w-ing my hdd?

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 11:26:00PM -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> This response almost makes me angry. I said specifically
> A PROCESS. I didn't say what kind of process. The file system
> should not generate writes out of nothing. Somewhere there
> is A PROCESS (an instance of a running program, maybe a daemon,
> maybe the kernel, who cares, some process) which is generating reads
> or writes.

Have you checked to see if any logging activity is happening?

Have you tried to stop as many processes as possible from running until
the accesses stop?

Have you looked at /proc/diskstats to see if any of your partitions are
being hit often? (this is for 2.6) This may give you a clue as to what
to look at.

Have you tried mounting your partitions noatime and seeing if the writes
stop? This would indicate something is being run/read often.

Have you tried taking a deep breath and thinking of a calm, blue ocean?
:)

--
    "To the extent that we overreact, we proffer the terrorists the
    greatest tribute."