Re: Most directories locked read-only: how to unlock them?

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 07:42:38PM -0500, Ken Heard wrote:
> 	Thanks to Stural Holm Hansen and Steve Kemp for answering my post.
> Unfortunately I my problem is still not solved.
>
> 	I first tried Steve Kemp's suggestion, because it was the simpler,
> 	as it did not require use of a live CDROM.  He warned me that the command
> "mount -n -o remount,rw /" might not work.  It didn't.  It returned
>
> 	EXT3-fs: Unrecognized mount option "drfaults" or missing value
>         mount: / not mounted already, or bad option
>
>        I then ran "mount -n -o remount,defaults,rw /" and "mount -n -o
> defaults,rw /".  The first command returned the same result as above.
> The second returned:
>
>         mount: /dev/mapper/SOL-root is already mounted or / busy
>         mount: according to mtab, /dev/mapper/SOL-root is already
> mounted on /

If all else fails, you could try the following approach:

Copy /etc/fstab to /tmp/fstab and fix your "drfaults" typo in there.
Then patch a temporary copy of /bin/mount and libc.so to use /tmp/fstab
instead of /etc/fstab.  To do so, create this little script, make it
executable, and run it as root:

#!/bin/sh

FSTAB=/tmp/fstab
LIBC=/lib/libc.so.6

perl -pe "s|/etc/fstab|$FSTAB|g" $LIBC >/tmp/libc.so.6
perl -pe "s|/etc/fstab|$FSTAB|g" /bin/mount >/tmp/mount
chmod +x /tmp/mount
export LD_PRELOAD=/tmp/libc.so.6
/tmp/mount -n -o remount,rw /

(I'm assuming you can still write in /tmp -- if not, you could of
course also use some other writable location, but make sure the length
of the string you then use in place of "/tmp/fstab" always is exactly
10 characters long.)

Use at your own risk!

Almut