Re: who is r/w-ing my hdd?

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 12:00 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Matthias Pfeifer wrote:
> > Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote in news:5unNS-8tn-23@gated-
> > at.bofh.it:
> >

> >>Matthias:

> >>If you are using a journalling file system like ext3, this is normal and
> >>shouldn't stress your hard disk.
> >>
> >>J.
> >

> > How is that? And how does that correspond to my
> > observation that it must be the x-window-system
> > that is taking a role in this situation? Can
> > you explain, please?
>
> I find the answer confusing as well. No matter what FS
> one is using, it shouldn't be writing the disc unless
> someone requests it. The write may be delayed, but it
> shouldn't be created out of thin air. Same thing for
> reads. Somewhere there is a process doing disc I/O.

You're thinking like this is a single-tasking OS.  Even on a
relatively quiet system, when you have a journaling FS, the kernel
will be doing more background disk activity than you'd expect.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with
the law."
David Dinkins