Re: /var/www/ and the user ho like to edit web pages

On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 06:24:45PM +0100, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> Hello!
>
> My system is Debian GNU/Linux Sarge.
> I have installed apache 1.3.33
>
> I'm new to apache server.
> I try to set up access to user "webeditor" so he may to write his web
> pages in the /var/www/ directory in the webmin, but I don't know how to
> do that.
>
> I also try to add the user "webeditor" to www-data group so he can to
> write in the /var/www/ directory, but he still can't do that.
>
> webeditor has ~/public_html/ directory.
> Is it the better way that that user "webeditor" to edit his web pages in
> this directory and somehow set up apache so we can see his homepage
> from there?
>
> I will appreciate any advices!

Suppose you are user pal in your machine, which has ip 123.456.78.99
Then,

~/public_html/ means /home/pal/public_html
Which is accessed from the internet by pointing at
http://123.456.78.99/~pal/

and

/var/www/ is where you put the what you want visible by pinting at
your ip alone, that is
http://123.456.78.99/myfile.html is located in
/var/www/myfile.html

This is the standard in debian machines (and unix in general, or close
to it). The settings can be modified by making changes in the
configuration files of apache.