/var/www/ and the user ho like to edit web pages

Hello!

My system is Debian GNU/Linux Sarge.
I have installed apache 1.3.33

I'm new to apache server.
I try to set up access to user "webeditor" so he may to write his web
pages in the /var/www/ directory in the webmin, but I don't know how to
do that.

I also try to add the user "webeditor" to www-data group so he can to
write in the /var/www/ directory, but he still can't do that.

webeditor has ~/public_html/ directory.
Is it the better way that that user "webeditor" to edit his web pages in
this directory and somehow set up apache so we can see his homepage
from there?

I will appreciate any advices!

--
Regards,
Debian Junior Project, DebianEdu, Moodle ->  :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)