Re: PCMCIA Wireless Card startup problems under Debian Sid

James Caldow <debian@loupegarrou.com> writes:

> >>Using a Sarge net-install disc I set about the install process again
> > Of course it is too late now, but: except for downgrades or totally
> >hosed systems, there is no need to reinstall. Upgrading to sid or
> >etch is as easy as adding the appropriate lines to your sources.list
> >and 'aptitude dist-upgrade'.

> If only it were that simple. I had been trying to avoid my original
> email becoming too long, but prior to installing in the manner
> described above I had tried to apt-get dist-upgrade two seperate
> machines from Sarge to Sid.

The right way is to upgrade first from sarge to etch and then from etch
to sid. sarge -> etch -> sid. This is the recommended way. You can't
skip etch, if you do that - no wonder you encounter problems.

> In both cases it choked on things like udev, dpkg, etc.

I did it several times already. Last time was yesterday and it went
flawlessly.

> I found plenty of info on workarounds for these issues by googling but
> they were all incredibly brute force workarounds to my way of thinking
> and I simply wanted to try installing the system cleanly using Sid
> sources from the start.

That is strange. These upgrades should be pretty straightforward.
Another case is for downgrading that is not supported, but can be
performed using some "brutal force".

> As I said, I have installed various linux distributions over the
> years, and feel comfortable enough with the whole process that a clean
> install doesn't phase me too much.

Easy upgrade is one of the strengths of debian. It doesn't make sense
not to use it.

--
"We are all special cases."
- Albert Camus